Food4Thought is a commentary on the ethics of eating, food justice and contemporary ideas on food democracy as well as recipes. Did I just say the same thing three different ways?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have always disliked kale until Stacy Stowers showed me how to 'massage' it with lemon juice, garlic (I use a mashed shallot) and live olive oil (www.livingtreecommunityfoods.com). When I discovered it was the most nutrient dense vegetable on the planet, I had to find a way to like it. Actually, 'massaging' the leaves is kind of meditative.
- 1 head Kale
- juice one lemon, 1/4 cup olive oil, one head mashed shallot and pour over leaves and massage in
- chopped cherry tomatoes
- chopped yellow pepper
- black olives
- feta cheese sprinkled on top
- a handful of pine nuts
I think you'll like it!!

Dehydrated onion olive cracker/bread
This will only work if you have a dehydrator - I ordered mine on Amazon for $150
- 3 onions (sweet) - I usually don't use this many - 2 seems to work fine - chopped thin
- 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
-3/4 cup golden flax seeds
- fresh rosemary
- a little sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives (or more!)
Combine onions (hold about half back), seeds, salt and rosemary and puree in Vitamix. Take out and add the rest of the onions and the olives and spread on the dehydrator sheets and cook at 118 or lower for 12 hours and then remove the sheets and cook another 12 hours. Goes great with almost anything.

2 comments:

  1. Could you do something similar with Swiss chard, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. You could also try mashing avocado and rubbing it as well.

    ReplyDelete