Food4Thought is a commentary on the ethics of eating, food justice and contemporary ideas on food democracy as well as recipes. Did I just say the same thing three different ways?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

While I was in Morocco, the Birthday Girl set up a cooking class at the beautiful La Maison Arabe in Marrakesh. Those of us who are vegetarian made a berber tangine.
It was very important to cut the vegetables right and design them in the tangine. I apparently, was not doing a good enough job designing my layout and the berber woman assisting the chef took the knife out of my hand to show me the right way - am I ever grateful!
Please note, there IS a difference between cut, sliced, diced and julienned!!
Ingredients - serves 2
- 2 carrots peeled and cut in half
- zuccini unpeeled and cut in hlaf
- 1 large potato, sliced
- tomoto, diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in four
- turnip, peeled and halved
- small onion, sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, julienned

Spices
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 Tbs olive oil

Cook on low heat in your tangine. If you can find a flat metal plate that goes on the burner and the tangine and it, use that! After half an hour of cooking check to see if you need any water but use sparingly. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment